Thursday, November 16, 2006

Library Tech Support

Just viewed Jessamyn West's updated presentation "On the Fly Tech Support: Hey, this isn't my job!", especially like the quote from salon:

Something funny happened on the road to the digital library of the future, though. Far from becoming keepers of the keys to the Grand Database of
Universal Knowledge, today's librarians are increasingly finding themselves in an unexpected, overloaded role: They have become the general public's last-resort providers of tech support.

I cannot agree with it any more. Not only the public library, but also the academic library, they somehow are playing the role of hardware and software help desk at some times. It kind of supports and gives credit to my role in this library. Now I can make the local hero meetings and MCDST more important to me and to others in the library.

No comments: